Linton in Pictures
A History of Linton
in Photographs
Available here
LINTON CEMETERY

The yearly average number of burials in Linton was around twenty six and the Churchyard was rapidly filling at the end of the nineteenth century.

In 1896 a new piece of land was acquired from the Lord of the Manor alongside the Camping Close, but only the northern part was sanctioned for burials. The southern section was deemed by the Home Office to be too wet since water levels on the river side were too high.

The Parish Council hastily searched for a new Burial ground and almost purchased five and a half acres of land in Symonds Lane, close to the then Police Station at present day number 25. The County Council refused this request in 1901 and the Parish Council then purchased three acres of land at the top of Coles Lane in 1903. The land was sold by the Lord of the Manor for £200 and a further £300 was spent on the layout, fencing and drainage.

The New Cemetery was dedicated on January 26th, 1905 by the Vicar, the Rev. John Longe and the Rev. Williamson of the Congregational Church. The Home Office had banned further burials in the Horn Lane Churchyard in 1899.

The first burial took place on April 26th when Robert Kettle of Osnaburgh Villa was laid to rest. During the ceremony one mourner fell from a trap and broke his leg. The Parish Council employed a caretaker for 4/- per week and the gravedigger was paid 3/- for a burial, and an extra 1/6d if the corpse was over six feet six inches in height.

A glass covered notice board was erected in 1905 but local children constantly broke the glass. In 1929 Mr. Diddell donated a water supply. The grass was kept short by renting out the grazing rights, but this led to frequent complaints about damage caused by livestock: in 1910 cattle damaged the main gates, in 1932 pigs ate the flowers and in 1938 cows destroyed the evergreen trees.

With the huge growth in Linton’s population the Cemetery was too small by the 1960’s and an extension was completed by 1968. It cost a mere £1,375.

The War Memorial was dedicated in March, 1921 but the steps to the raised site were only constructed in 1990.